• Archives
  • Categories
  • Last-wicket heroes save the day

    2018 - 07.03

    TAMWORTH came out of the gate strongly in the annual Max Tomlinson Memorial Trophy, although some late wickets to Gunnedah just before lunch had the game up for grabs for most of the afternoon.
    Nanjing Night Net

    Col Barton throws one down yesterday as the Tamworth vets beat Gunnedah to finish the season on a high. Photo: Geoff O’Neill 250315GOD02

    The veterans’ cricket match is believed to be the longest running vets cricket games in NSW with the rivalry dating back to 1992 when a spritely 62 -year-old Doug Crowell captained the Tamworth side to a 31 run victory after setting 137 for the win.

    Crowell is now the president of Tamworth Vets and is still known to occupy the crease as often as possible.

    Following the overnight rain, a dash to find a suitable field with a synthetic wicket saw the game bounced from Chaffey Park, to Chauval Park and finally to Minor League Field.

    The 40 over game is played in four 20 over innings, with sides alternating the batting.

    Tamworth won the toss and captain Ron Farrell sent Gunnedah in to bat first in the damp conditions, following a minute’s silence after the passing of Gunnedah’s Michael Baxter last week.

    Opener Rod Barnes compiled a solid innings to retire on 33 after Rick Sampson copped an extra chance duck, scooping one back to David Head in the first ball of the second over.

    “We bowled and fielded really well in the first 20 overs,” Head said.

    Tamworth restricted them to be only 3-37 at the end of the first stanza.

    In reply Tamworth opener Albie Barwick crafted a solid 19, joining Bob Haling (25) with some aggressive batting after Gunnedah picked up Col Barton early for five.

    Haling’s not out innings included a four and two sixes, which really got Tamworth on the front foot.

    Gunnedah hit back late in the first 20 to claim three cheap wickets and keep Tamworth only 30 runs ahead but also five wickets down.

    Gunnedah scored more freely in the second innings, Michael Morgan (33) and Peter King (27) putting the foot down to reach 7-127.

    In the end it was just not enough, although Gunnedah was in the box seat at the beginning of Tamworth’s second bat. Three single figure scores before the break were matched after the break, and Tamworth found itself flailing at 8-75.

    David Head and Mike Cashman batting at 10 and 11 saved the day, after already taking the first three wickets between them in the first innings.

    Head hit four fours on his way to an unbeaten 25, with Cashman an unbeaten 21, as Tamworth passed the total in the final three overs.

    “It has been a really good season for the Tamworth vets and that’s a good way to finish it,” Head said.

    Tamworth will host an Under 70s tournament the week after Easter with Tamworth playing in Division Two.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

    Comments are closed.